1860 was the year in which Giovanni Panerai opened his first watch shop in Ponte alle Grazie, Florence. This space was more than a shop and a workshop - from the outset, it began to function as a school of watchmaking, the first in the city. Years later, on the eve of World War II, Panerai began to develop the first prototypes of the model known as "Radiomir" which currently retains some of its most emblematic features such as the steel box, luminescent figures, rings welded to the box and the water-resistant strap, long enough to be worn with a diving suit, initiating the close relationship between Panerai and the Italian Navy. In fact, Panerai watches have always been the natural result of mixing Italian design, Swiss technology and passion for the sea. The novel continued and the most beautiful collections in honour of the aquatic world were produced: in addition to "Radiomir", also the "Mare Nostrum", "Luminor" and "Egiziano" are excellent examples of the classics that the brand would manufacture. The international launch of the brand takes place at the beginning of the 21st century, becoming one of the great players of the watch industry worldwide.